It is so important, with all that is happening in our world, for every follower of Jesus Christ to make room for the Holy Spirit’s ministry. His ministry empowered the Lord Jesus Who “went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with Him (Acts 10:38).” Following after the example of our Lord and Savior the Holy Spirit desires to flow through our lives for the sake of bringing healing and deliverance to the hurting, helpless and hopeless of our world.
Metaphorically, the Holy Spirit flows as like a river. Rivers are channels or conduits to places where the refreshing of water is needed. Jesus pinpoints that the work of the Spirit as rivers or streams of living water was to flow from the believer’s life after Jesus’ ascension (John 7:37-39). The Holy Spirit manifested as a flowing river brings refreshing from within the believer outwardly making the believer an overflowing tributary of His Holy Spirit’s fullness, life, and love.
Ezekiel 47:1-9 says, “The man brought me back to the entrance of the temple, and I saw water coming out from under the threshold of the temple toward the east (for the temple faced east). The water was coming down from under the south side of the temple, south of the altar. He then brought me out through the north gate and led me around the outside to the outer gate facing east, and the water was flowing from the south side. As the man went eastward with a measuring line in his hand, he measured off a thousand cubits and then led me through water that was ankle-deep. He measured off another thousand cubits and led me through water that was knee-deep. He measured off another thousand and led me through water that was up to the waist. He measured off another thousand, but now it was a river that I could not cross, because the water had risen and was deep enough to swim in – a river that no one could cross. He asked me, “Son of man, do you see this?” Then he led me back to the bank of the river. When I arrived there, I saw a great number of trees on each side of the river. He said to me, “This water flows toward the eastern region and goes down into the Arabah, where it enters the Sea. When it empties into the Sea, the water there becomes fresh. Swarms of living creatures will live wherever the river flows. There will be large numbers of fish, because this water flows there and makes the salt water fresh; so where the river flows everything will live.”
Look at these truths about Ezekiel’s river:
1) Water came out from within.
2) Water was flowing.
3) The river sought the path of least resistance.
4) The farther the river flowed the deeper the river became.
5) The river can be measured as to its expression and effectiveness.
6) Everywhere the river flows, it brings life.
7) Salty water become fresh and blessing is found wherever the river is flooding or flowing.
The River in Ezekiel 47 describes:
• Water to the ankles: changing our direction.
• Water to the knees: changing our praying.
• Water to the Loins: changing our witnessing.
• Water to Swim in: changing our lives.
Spiritual Expression given through us by the Person of the Holy Spirit it is important. We must remember to:
• Pray that the Holy Spirit will continue to teach us.
• Submit to the Scriptures as our only rule of faith and practice.
• Believe that Holy Spirit intends for us to fully understand Who He Is and His expression.
• Desire to grow emotionally, intellectually and spiritually as we learn.
I encourage you to ask the Lord Jesus to help you make room for the Holy Spirit’s manifest presence to flow in, through and from your life today. There are both adults and children who are in your life who need His touch, His encouragement and His blessing. Open your heart to Him and then open your heart to others with the expectation of Him flowing from your heart, your voice and your touch. You will witness first-hand His goodness, His grace and His glory.
Have a blessed day.