The Holy Spirit lives within every believer. From within us He is passionate about His desire to regenerate our thoughts, words and actions. He yearns to have us depend totally upon Him so that He might discharge His responsibility to the One who sent Him, namely, that of causing the believer to grow into living a full, glorious and victorious Christian life. That statement does not mean His Presence or Anointing rests UPON every believer. Let me explain…
Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. 2 Corinthians 1:21-22
It is important for us to see that from these verses:
The Lord has set His seal of ownership on us. The Greek phrase Paul used includes the Greek word, sphragizô. Sphragizô is an old verb meaning, “to set a seal to prevent opening” (Daniel 6:17), or “in place of signature” (1Kings 21:18). First century examples show a wide legal use to give validity to documents, to guarantee the genuineness of articles as sealing sacks and chests, etc.
The Lord has put His Spirit in our hearts. Such was used to describe a deposit or to describe the earnest money in a purchase for a farm animal or for a wife (a dowry). Such was part payment on the total obligation and we use the very expression in buying a house today, “earnest money.” This earnest of the Spirit in our hearts is the witness of the Spirit that we are God’s.
We have been given the seal of His ownership: The anointing authenticates or notarizes the ministry God has given to us, in us and through us.
As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit– just as it has taught you, remain in him. The Holy Spirit is placed within the believer. 1 John 2:27
There are two ministries that 1 John 2 describes;
- The anointing does the work of bringing spiritual understanding of the Word of God to the believer.
- The anointing gives the believer an innate ability to know in an intuitive way, spiritual things. (Not from the soul or intellectual realm but by and of the Spirit.)
How does this occur? First of all, the Holy Spirit is sent into the believer’s heart for the purpose of making His home there. Each of us have the responsibility to make room for the Holy Spirit and to make Him at home in our lives.
We must give the Holy Spirit absolute freedom to change us from the inside out. We must yield all that we are to the Spirit’s control and depend upon the Spirit for guidance, for teaching and for strength. It is only then that the potential power resident in the Presence of the Holy Spirit can fully operate in our lives.
Once given freedom to dwell fully within us, the Holy Spirit desires to REST UPON us to demonstrate the Lord Jesus to others. He wants come “UP-ON” us. We see this happening in Luke 3:21-22.
When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
The Purpose of the Anointing Being in Us (Internally) Is To:
- Teach us until we are taught. To teach means to:
- Hold discourse in order to instruct others.
- Provide knowledge in a methodical manner.
- Impart information.
- Instill understanding.
- Interpret the significance of certain truths.
- Illustrate for the sake of clarification.
Then the Anointing:
- Uncovers and unveils revelations of truth which we cannot know on our own.
- Quickens our cognitive powers to understand truth that has been previously; is presently; and will be in the future, revealed.
- Enables direct communication from God to our heart. We then know things we cannot know in ourselves, but in Him.
This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. 1 Corinthians 2:13
The Purpose of the Anointing Coming Upon (Externally) Us Is To:
Empower us for Ministry
Ministry means to give service either from, to or within the faith community through:
- Speech (ministry of the Word)
- Discipleship (mentoring of the people)
- Giftedness (maximizing gift, talents and abilities)
- Charity and Serving (such as feeding the poor)
- The Demonstration of and Display of God (healings, wonders and miracles)
One day as he was teaching, Pharisees and teachers of the law, who had come from every village of Galilee and from Judea and Jerusalem, were sitting there. And the power of the Lord was present for him to heal the sick. Luke 5:17
Next week I will complete my teaching on the Holy Spirit coming UPON us for ministry. Don’t miss it! God bless you!